Travieso: The Real Post.

I posted about #danieleltravieso a couple of weeks ago, but I'll be honest, I think I censored it fairly heavily.
Everything I said was absolutely true, but it isn't the post I set out to write.
I'm aiming for this one to be.

D. has had a hard start to life. He was born to a mother who already had a host of kids in various orphanages, and in a family with a genetic predisposition to hyperactivity, by all accounts. He was cared for pretty well until he was about four months, when he arrived to Casa de Amor pretty severely malnourished. It was discovered that he had a severe heart defect, which was why he wasn't gaining weight, and why he was the size of a newborn. At this point a team of volunteers stepped up and cared for him, one after the other. It was great, and he got his surgery at 7 months, recovered like a boss, and by the time I met him last September he was a cute, healthy, almost 1-year-old.

I loved him before I met him, just from reading all the blogs, and meeting him did nothing to hamper that love. However, I started to wonder if he was really a normal 1-year-old. He was certainly a little harder to handle after his surgery, but no-one was ready to say it was something to worry about. But the more mobile he became, the more obvious it seemed there was something going on.

Fastforward to September, and he stayed with me for the weekend. As Hannah and I watched him, we became relatively convinced there was an issue, sensory-wise. He just needed sensory input constantly, and he was throwing himself against walls, bashing things on the floor, anything he could do to get it. When he ate, he was super sensitive to the texture and the heat. Something just seemed off.

Then the babies and girls moved in together at the end of October, and on the first night, he accidentally got his finger caught in the door, and as it became more and more swollen, and the blood poured out of it, he whimpered, and then carried on with what he was doing. He falls off things, bumps into things, things that would have any other 2-year-old in tears, and remains oblivious.

I would love to wrap this up by telling you his issue, and how we solved it, but that's not the end of this post.

Instead, I'll tell you that we're worried. That the tias are exhausted. That we're pretty sure his pain threshold is way off, that we're not sure he really feels pain at all. And that he's so impulsive and fearless that he's becoming a danger to himself and others.

And I'm asking you, to pray with us. For a cure, for a diagnosis, for an answer.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the ache.

Almost 8 years in the country, gringa still doesn’t speak Spanish properly.

#sleepover (one week later).