Purim in October.

We celebrated Purim on Thursday. 

We were only about six months out. (It's in March, I googled it.

It’s not a holiday I knew a lot about (read: had ever heard of), until we had a chapel on it this week, complete with a turtle puppet in the role of Haman.

How does a turtle build such big, high gallows?!

It’s based on the story of Esther, told in the book of the same name, which is the only book in the Bible where God is mentioned (I think…?)

And the whole point of the holiday is this:

God is there even when He cannot be seen.

Like in the entire book, when He isn’t even mentioned.

I needed that message this week.

Because when two newborns are abandoned in the same hospital, in the same town, in the same week, I need to know that God is still there.

Because when babies are born with problems that will change their whole lives, and the lives of their parents, with no prior warning, I need to know that God is still there.

Because when children are orphaned, and have no family to step up and take them in, I need to know that God is still there.

Because when seemingly healthy kids suddenly aren’t healthy anymore, I need to know that God is still there.

I need to know that even though it seems so chaotic and out of control, and like God has lost His grip on this world - that He has not.

That He is there, even when He cannot be seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the ache.

Almost 8 years in the country, gringa still doesn’t speak Spanish properly.

#sleepover (one week later).