Orphan Sunday 2016

Today is Orphan Sunday.

But for me, well, basically every Sunday is spent with kids the world would label “orphans”.

People message me every now and again, telling me what a great job I’m doing helping these kids, but here’s the thing - they give me so much more than I do, will or could ever give them.

They are the brightest thing in my week - they love so well. And that in itself is a miracle, because as a friend wrote earlier, “it takes love to give love” and these kids, well they haven’t had nearly enough love in their lives. They light up the room with their smiles, laughs and ridiculous comments. They love each other (mostly), love their tias, love the random gringos that rock up during the week. They are a gift, and I get to see that, but I know that sometimes you guys miss out on that.

David Platt wrote, “Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They are easier to ignore before you see their faces. It is easier to pretend they’re not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes.”

I haven’t heard a truer statement recently, and I come back to it all the time. For me, loving them is easier. I see them, hear them, they call me tia. But sitting on the other side of the world, it’s all more foreign (literally). No one actively wants to ignore orphans, certainly not all the wonderful people who will read this post (all 6 of you). But that is sometimes what we’re guilty of, all of us. I know my babies, I love them, but do I think about the other 147 million orphans? Not much, not enough.

The Bible is clear on this - we are to care for the fatherless. I don’t know how many times exactly (Google failed me) but it’s more than 30. This wasn’t a one off statement that was made, it’s said over and over. And if that’s not enough proof that we’re all called to this, I bring to you the ‘Golden Rule’ - treat others as you would have them do to you (Matt. 7:12). Now tell me, would you be happy living in the situations that so many children have to? Would you be okay with this being your child’s life? Your sister’s? Your brother’s?

Not everyone is called to care for orphans in the same way. Not everyone is called to adopt, or foster, or even to give money. But we are all called to do something. It isn’t optional. It doesn’t have to be Sunshine House, doesn’t have to be out of your own country, your own city - but these children need us. We need to stand in the gap for these kids, someone who will be the parents they have had taken from them in one hundred different ways.

I warn you now, it isn’t easy. There is so much heartbreak in loving them - children leave in bad situations, and even when kids leave in great situations they take a part of your heart with you. They leave you aching. And these kids sometimes ask for love in the most unloveable ways.

But it is so worth it, I can promise you that. I have had my heart broken in so many ways, but I would do it over again. I will do it over again. Because while it is bittersweet, it is so much sweeter than it is bitter. Because you’ll watch them thrive - and you’ll know that you played a part, even a tiny part. You’ll see them in their new family, in a new country - and you’ll be so glad God did what He did. You’ll see them walking, running, loving - and you’ll know that you were a part of it.

After all, we serve a God who makes the bitter things sweet.


Please like Sunshine House on Facebook here - we put up (not always so) regular photos and posts, and we promise to get better at blogging. We also have Instagram.

If you would like to support Sunshine House in Cochabamba, Bolivia financially you can do so here. We are aiming to be as transparent with our finances as we possibly can be, because we are called to steward our money wisely and we want to help in that - so any questions can be sent to sunshinehousebolivia@gmail.com and we will reply ASAP.

We guarantee that other than a small fee to PayPal all funds go directly to the running of the home, and to the children (salaries, food, transport, school fees, birthdays etc.)

Every pound, dollar or euro helps - and we thank you in advance for helping us continue serving these children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the ache.

Almost 8 years in the country, gringa still doesn’t speak Spanish properly.

#sleepover (one week later).