the altar i'll live and die on.

When I was about 14 I was told by my Religious Studies teacher that I was "too black and white".

This is basically the story of my life.

I feel too much.
I think too much.
I argue too much.

I am maturing though, and I'm finally coming to realise that there are things that are not worth fighting over.

But there are things that are.

---

Teenage girls are infuriating, but they're also my favourite. (Because I was one.)
Watching them let Jesus take the wheel of all those blazing hormones raging around their bodies - well it makes life worth living.

And here's the thing - Jesus is awesome. Like crazy awesome.
And He can handle teenage girls.

(I say all this like our 20th birthday is the day the crazy dies. Clearly how it works.)

You know who cannot handle teenage girls? Us.

And so we say to them that they need to do this, or that, or the other - because that is what Jesus would do.
That's what Jesus wants.

But the truth is that what we really mean is that that is what we can handle.

We tell them that the clothes they wear, that the words they say, how they present themselves - that is what matters.

And what they hear is that that is all that matters.

---

I have had the same conversation too many times. Sure it always starts differently, but it ends the same.

"I can't be who I'm expected to be."

"There are too many rules."

"I feel like I have to pretend to be someone else."

"...I can't do this."

My answer also doesn't vary much.

"Please, walk away from the church if you must.
Walk away from these people who have made you feel like this is what makes or breaks your salvation.
Walk away from the rules.
Walk away from the expectations.

But please, please - don't walk away from Jesus."

---

There are altars to live and die on.

This is one, at least for me.

I will not stand by while girls walk away from their only chance to live a full and complete life. Not over things that are not closed-hand doctrinal issues.

I will not do it.

---

Girls, Jesus loves you.

He loves you like you are.
(He also loves you way too much to leave you like that.)

Your looks, your dress, your sexuality,
These are not things that will send Jesus running.
In fact, there is nothing you can do or say that can do that.

Hear me again, nothing.

He can handle this.
Whatever it is that you are going through - He can handle it.

Do not allow the fear of doing or saying something wrong keep you from loving Him.
Do not let it keep you from knowing Him.
From living your life for Him.

Do not let us who cannot handle you, who cannot understand,
Don't allow us to impact on the only eternal relationship you have.
We are flawed, so deeply flawed, and we get things wrong.
Jesus gets nothing wrong.
Do not put your trust in us, do not allow our foolish mistakes to push you away from Him, to convince you that you're not enough.

You are enough.
You have always been enough.
He has always wanted you.

Even when you wore that outfit that showed a little too much.
Even when you did that thing and went a little too far.
Even when you said something you shouldn't have said.

Always.

You can't sin your way out of His love.
He'll still be standing waiting.
So run to Him.
Don't let us, or this society, or the monsters inside your head, convince you that He doesn't want you, or that you're not good enough for him right now.

You are good enough for Him.
Right now.
Always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the ache.

Almost 8 years in the country, gringa still doesn’t speak Spanish properly.

Day 2 in the Hospital.