Gringo Love.

(You’re all hearing this before the man himself, because he was gone when I got home this morning.)
Let me set the scene with two important pieces of information.
1. A considerable number of the nursing students have declared their love for white skinned men.
2. Yesterday I left Daniel alone at the hospital while I went home to nap.
So, last night’s fiasco began with the question,
“Do you have a boyfriend/husband?”
The assumption in sickbaby’s ward is that he is biologically mine, and therefore my boyfriend is an incredibly dark skinned individual.
(I told them he could be whatever colour they wanted since he was also imaginary…)
This led into a deep conversation about what colour skin was most attractive, which led to me being asked to ‘present’ some of my palest male friends to the nursing students (applications in the comments please.)
At this point then, the mum of the little guy diagonally across from sickbaby said, “she has a brother you know, he was here all day.”
The excitement and chaos that ensued made me so uncomfortable I have blocked it out for the good of my mental health, however I will offer you some of the highlights.
“He’s an angel!”
“Can I get his number?”
“I’ll teach him Quechua in return for being my boyfriend.”
“He has blue eyes, I saw them earlier, I was looking at them for ages.”
“Can I see a picture? Take a picture of me for him.
And when I suggested he might not be as handsome as they were expecting, it was met with a "but he has white skin, that’s enough!”
My favourite, however, came from a young nursing auxiliary who expressed her extreme excitement in finding out just were both 18, and then announced,
“Is he a christian? I can be a Christian.”
Bless them.
The conversation then wrapped up with me being told to call him to come back so we could line up the girls and he could choose his girlfriend.

He declined.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the ache.

Almost 8 years in the country, gringa still doesn’t speak Spanish properly.

#sleepover (one week later).